Juanita E. Pullins “Skeeter” Coffey

by | December 30, 2014 2:57 pm

SUMMERTON – Juanita E. Pullins “Skeeter” Coffey, 89, widow of John “J.C.” Mechaum Coffey, died Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014, at her home.

Born November 27, 1925, in Urbana, Ohio, she was a daughter of the late Dale Pullins and Vera Pullins. She was an avid reader, NASCAR fan, loved watching golf, painting, bowling, Little Theatre in Florence, the beach, traveling and crafts. She was a longstanding member of the Mother’s Memorial Circle in Mechanicsburg, OH, past president of the Florence Pilot Club and she was a member of Bethlehem United Methodist Church.

Survivors include four sons, Joe Coffey (Janice) of Urbana, Ed Coffey (Kay) of Summerton, and Dick Coffey (Debbie) and David Coffey (Cissie), both of Wilson, N.C.; 12 grandchildren, Gary Coffey, Jill Coffey Moore, Danny Coffey, Judd Coffey, James Coffey, Angela Coffey, Dana Coffey Swinson, Dee Dee Coffey Wilcox, Dustin Coffey, John Coffey, Benji Coffey and Justin Coffey; 17 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

Besides her parents, she was preceded in death by three brothers, James, Dale and Ernie Pullins; and three sisters, May Pullins Roauch, Betty Pullins Byerman and Charlotte Pullins Willett.

A funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, at Bethlehem United Methodist Church with the Rev. Wallace Culp officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.

Visitation will be 6-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 2, 2015, at Stephens Funeral Home and at other times at the home, 1509 Cottage Drive in Summerton.

Memorials may be made to Bethlehem United Methodist Church, c/o Gayle Boykin, 1119 Newman Drive, Summerton, SC 29148.

Stephens Funeral Home & Crematory, 304 N. Church St., Manning, is in charge of arrangements, (803) 435-2179.

www.stephensfuneralhome.org

1. Comment by O'Neil and Kim McClam

December 31, 2014 at 09:16

We are so sorry to hear of the passing of Skeeter. She was one the first people Kim and I met when we first started coming to the lake. She was the one person that we met that never appeared to age. She was always very nice to us and will be missed by everyone.

2. Comment by Jerry Pullins

December 31, 2014 at 12:35

Aunt Skeeter was an amazing Lady! Warm,.loving & always smiling …truly one of the Classiest & most Genuine human beings I have ever had the privilege to know (and to Love). Loretta & I’s thoughts and condolences to all of her friends and Family. Aunt Skeeter will be missed greatly.

3. Comment by Linda Marion

December 31, 2014 at 19:56

I will always remember the fun times when Aunt Skeeter, Uncle Johnny and the boys moved in next to us on the farm. She was so talented. I know Mom enjoyed having her close. I have thought about her often. My thoughts and prayers to you all.

4. Comment by Bill Willett

December 31, 2014 at 20:31

Aunt Skeeter was such fun, and so talented. I, for one, will miss her almost as much as my own Mother… Please consider having a Celebration of Life gathering of the cousins that live here in the Buckeye State.

5. Comment by Teri Urton (Rausch)

January 1, 2015 at 02:24

I am so sad to learn this. I remember Aunt Skeeter was always so sweet, friendly and upbeat. A big heart, and once you had a spot there… she always kept it warm. Prayers for strength during this difficult time.

6. Comment by janice pullins herzog

January 1, 2015 at 13:13

We were all heartbroken to hear Aunt Skeeter passed away. I have so many wonderful memories of her during my life and will always remember her with love. She was Mom’s best friend and the reason Mom and Dad met and all our memories came to be…..what a wonderful lady. To all her family….so sorry you have to lose her but we’ll all be together someday. Can you image the huge loving crowd welcoming her to heaven!? Love you ALL ! Jannie

7. Comment by Judi Pullins Hay

January 2, 2015 at 01:55

There are no amount of words that could express my sadness in the passing of my dear sweet Aunt Skeeter. Many wonderful childhood memories and even more precious ones as an adult, so many fun times and stories to tell of our visits down south. She is truly a Child of God and will be missed by many. I will not say good-bye….I do say ..Till we meet again.
    Love
    Judi

8. Comment by andrea messer (rausch)

January 2, 2015 at 10:26

Skeeter is my great aunt. She was a wonderful woman. As a child I used to look forward to her coming to Ohio to visit at my grandmothers (Mae pullins rausch). Aunt skeeter officiated my wedding ceremony 3 years ago. I am honored that she was a part of that special day and she will truly be missed.