Political News

Voter registration FAQs


The Manning Times, in collaboration with the Christine Harvin, Director of Clarendon County Voter Registration, has compiled a list of frequently asked questions by voters in our community. If you have any additional questions or concerns, the Voter Registration office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and is located at 3 S. Church Street in Manning. You can also visit their website at clarendoncountygov.org/voter-registration or call 803-435-8215 for more information.

Why do I have to declare a party for the June election?

South Carolina does not provide for registration by party. Primaries in the state are open, meaning any voter can participate in any one party’s primary.

What is a primary?

Primaries are elections that political parties use to select their candidates for a general election. A primary is necessary when multiple candidates from the same political party file for the same office.

Do I have to be a registered member of a party to participate in the Statewide Primaries?

No. South Carolina does not have registration by party. The Statewide Primaries are open to all registered SC voters. Poll managers will ask voters, “In which party’s primary do you wish to vote today?”

Can I vote in both primaries?

No. State law prohibits voters from voting in more than one party’s primary.

If I voted in one party’s primary, can I vote in the other party’s runoff?

No. The runoff is a continuation of the primary. If you voted in a party’s primary, you can vote only in the runoff of the same party.

If I didn’t vote in either primary, can I vote in a runoff?

Yes. You have the option of voting in either party’s runoff.

Who’s running and what is their platform?

Voter Registration has sample ballots in the office of who’s running. It is up to the candidate to let the public know why they are running.

When do we vote for the President?

In the General Election on November 5, 2024.

When does early voting start?

Early voting begins two weeks prior to any election. For the June primary, early voting began on Tuesday, May 28, 2024.

Are sample ballots available?

Yes. Voter Registration has sample ballots in their office and there will be sample ballots at the precincts on Election night.

Where do I vote early?

You may voter early at the Clarendon County Voter Registration office, located at 3 South Church Street in Manning, beginning May 28th for two weeks from 8:30 am to 5:00 p.m.

Can a candidate or representative take people to the polls to vote?

Yes. It is permissible for any person, even a candidate, to give a voter a ride to the polls. However, nothing of value can be exchange for voting.

Can a candidate or member of a candidate’s campaign talk to voters at the polling place?

Yes. They are also allowed to wear a badge no larger than 4.25” x 4.25” with only the candidate’s name and office sought. However, they can not wear campaign material inside the polling place. It must be removed before entering.

Are ballots tabulated on the Internet?

No. Voter equipment IS NOT connected to the internet.

How can I vote Absentee?

You can submit your request for an application as early as January 1st of the election year. Call, visit, or send your request by mail to the county Voter Registration office. You must provide your name, date of birth, and last four digits of your Social Security number.

What if I do not have a photo ID?

You can visit the Voter Registration office and request a SC Voter Registration card with your photo. You must be an active, registered voter and provide your date of birth and last four digits of your Social Security.

When is the School Board Election?

School board election will be on the November Ballot. Candidate filing begins August 1, 2024 and ends August 15, 2024.

When do I need to register to vote?

You have to be registered 30 days prior to an election.  The voter registration deadline for the Statewide Primaries was Sunday, May 12. By-mail applications were accepted if postmarked by Monday, May 13.  If you moved since the last time you voted and haven’t updated your voter registration:

If you moved to

1. another residence within your precinct, you can update your address at your polling place and vote a regular ballot.

2. a different precinct within your county, you are eligible vote Failsafe (see below).

3. another residence in another county within 30 days of the election, you are eligible to vote Failsafe (see below).

4. another residence in another county prior to the May 12 registration deadline, you are not eligible to vote. State law requires you to be registered prior to the deadline to be eligible to vote.

5. South Carolina after the May 12 registration deadline, you are not eligible to vote. State law requires you to be registered prior to the deadline to be eligible to vote.

Two Options for Voting Failsafe:

1. Vote at the polling place in your previous precinct using a failsafe provisional ballot. A failsafe provisional ballot contains only federal, statewide, countywide, and municipality-wide offices.

2. Go to the voter registration office in the county in which you currently reside, change your address, and vote a regular ballot there.

How can I track the status of my absentee request?

Check the status of your absentee request and track your ballot online or contact your county voter registration office.

Who can make an absentee request or return a ballot for another person?

An immediate family member. This includes: spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law or an authorized representative. Limit to five request per person, in addition to his or her own.