Local News

Community to host Oyster Roast for Mason


On Monday, Oct 5, Mark DuBose, a longtime resident of Clarendon County, was getting ready to go to work. DuBose has been employed for many years within the construction industry as a QA/QC manager. This particular morning something was off. 

“He mentioned to my mom that he was feeling a little off,” said daughter Cassie Hardy.

Like most people, DuBose did not think much of it as he has had no prior symptoms to indicate anything major would be wrong. While driving to Charleston he began to feel numbness and tingling on the right side of his body. DuBose went to the first Urgent Care Facility he could find and he asked to be seen immediately, at this point DuBose was now feeling paralysis on the entire right side of his body and was quickly becoming disoriented. The staff asked him to sign in and have a seat. 

DuBose again told the front desk employees that something was terribly wrong and he needed to be treated immediately. DuBose could not be seen and walked out of the Urgent Care, at that moment his daughter Cassie happened to call him. 

“I asked dad where he was and how he was feeling, as he described his discomfort to me he was unable to tell me his exact location,” said Hardy. “I really began to worry because my dad knows Charleston like the back of his hand. I told him to stay where he was at, do not attempt to drive anywhere. and call 911.”

DuBose did as his daughter asked and was soon transferred to a hospital and admitted with what initially seemed to be two TIA’s.

According to the Mayo Clinic, a transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a “temporary period of symptoms similar to those of a stroke. A TIA usually lasts only a few minutes and doesn’t cause permanent damage.”

After numerous scans and tests, DuBose went home a few days later. 

“We were happy to have him home but we could tell things were just not right,” said Hardy. “At 4 am that morning my mom called me in a panic and said she and Hardy’s little sister had called 911 because it seemed that DuBose was now having a stroke.” 

An ambulance arrived and DuBose was transported to McLeod Health Clarendon. “We prayed and prayed that the Lord would intervene and send someone to him that wouldn’t give up until they figured out what was wrong with my dad,” said Hardy. 

Soon the families’ prayers were answered. DuBose had indeed suffered two TIA’s and a stroke.

“First and foremost we would like to thank Dr. Rabon, she was truly a Godsend for us,” said Hardy. “My family will never be able to thank her enough. Ms. Cornelia Jones, Ms. Stacey Mosier, and all of the nursing staff that took care of, and continue to take care of my dad, we just can’t thank them enough.” 

DuBose was moved to the Intensive Care Unit not long after his admission to McLeod and has since been moved back to the second floor to continue to be monitored and receive minimal Physical Therapy. DuBose will be sent home with Home Health in addition to strict instructions to follow for his diet, therapy, and visitors. DuBose will not be allowed any home visitors while the COVID pandemic is still spreading as his body is not strong enough to fight off the virus or any additional illness at this time.

“We have had an overflow of love from our community,” said Hardy. “My dad is a Mason with the St Peters Lodge number 54 and those guys came together and built a ramp at his house in just a few hours so that my dad is able to use a walker to get into his home.”

On November 14th the community is invited to join for a fundraiser hosted by Rod and Lesa Mosier and McKenzie McGuier. There will be live music, oysters, chicken bog, and a family-friendly cook-off at the Clarendon Club in Summerton, 1219 Dingle Pond Road. Tickets are $45 per person or $75 per couple. For more information, contact McKenzie McQuier at (803)410-1817.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment