Local News

Clarendon County primaries yield victories and optimism for general election


Clarendon County voters cast their ballots in the June 11th primary, resulting in key victories and some close contests across various races.

In the race for the U.S. House of Representatives, District 6, Republican primary, Duke Buckner emerged victorious with 55.76% of the vote, securing 10,145 votes. Justin Scott received 8,050 votes, totaling 44.24%. Within Clarendon County, however, Scott edged out Buckner, receiving 884 votes (51.64%) to Buckner’s 828 votes (48.36%).

The State Senate, District 36, saw decisive wins in both the Republican and Democratic primaries. On the Republican side, Jeffrey Zell claimed a commanding victory with 78.31% of the vote (3,068 votes), defeating Leon Winn, who received 21.69% (850 votes). In Clarendon County, Zell received 1,408 votes (80.14%) compared to Winn’s 349 votes (19.86%). Zell expressed his gratitude on social media, saying, “I am truly grateful for God’s victory! Tonight’s win was outstanding and brings us one step closer to serving the great people of the 36th Senate District in a greater capacity. Although the turnout was lower than we hoped, the percentages are promising. I am grateful for everyone’s support and committed to expanding my support for the upcoming general election. It’s time for change!”

The Democratic primary for the same seat was won by incumbent Kevin L. Johnson, who secured 77.52% of the vote (5,824 votes) against Eleazer Carter, who managed 22.48% (1,689 votes). Within Clarendon County, Johnson garnered 1,760 votes (73.58%) to Carter’s 632 votes (26.42%).

In the State House of Representatives, District 64, Democratic primary, Quadri Bell emerged victorious with 81.53% of the vote (2,322 votes), leaving Arthur Moyd trailing with 18.47% (526 votes). In Clarendon County, Bell received 1,836 votes (82.41%) while Moyd obtained 392 votes (17.59%). Bell celebrated the win, posting, “Last night was simply incredible. All day, I have felt so loved, so blessed, and so grateful. Thank you to the Democratic primary voters of SC House District 64 for sending me to the general election! To my supporters: It means the world to me that so many of you believe in me. You made this victory possible. Let’s celebrate, and I will see you on the campaign trail soon. Let’s win in November! Join me in #MovingForwardTogether.”

For the Clarendon County Council Chair position, Republican Jay Johnson dominated the race with 88.34% of the vote (1,561 votes), significantly ahead of LaNette Samuels Cooper, who received 11.66% (206 votes).

The contest for the Clarendon County Council, District 2, Republican seat was closer, with Kurtis Rodine winning 55.52% of the vote (402 votes) over Jose Calvo, who

received 44.48% (322 votes). Rodine also thanked his supporters on social media, saying, “Thank you all for showing up and voting. I could not have done a thing without all of you. God delivered just like he said he would and he put some amazing people in my life to help us do this ....and y’all know who you are. I was told the hard work comes now so I guess no rest for the weary. I am a little overwhelmed seeing y’all come out like you did. We all just need to spread the word for November and keep it fresh on everyone’s mind so we can finally have real change in Clarendon County, so remember we need Kurtis Rodine District 2 and Jay Johnson as chairman to have a majority. Again thank all of you soooooo much.”

The primary results set the stage for the upcoming general elections, with strong candidates emerging from both parties in Clarendon County.