Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 2:00 pm
The S.C. Highway Patrol is currently responding to a wreck that occurred about 1:30 p.m. Monday, with no injuries reported, at the 130 mile-marker in the northbound lanes of Interstate 95 between Alcolu and Turbeville. Traffic may be slower during this time.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 12:32 pm
Manning Times’ readers voted Title Max as 2014 Clarendon’s Best Cash Advance Store. Manninglive.com will be posting more winners throughout the week. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more winners.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 11:44 am
Manning Times’ readers voted D&H Barbecue the winner of four awards in the 2014 Clarendon’s Best contest, including Best Barbecue, Best Buffet, Best Vegetables and Best Fried Chicken. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more of our winners.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 11:38 am
The S.C. Highway Patrol is currently responding to a Hit and Run with no injuries near S.C. 260 and Moses Dingle Road in Manning. Traffic may be slower during this time. The incident happened about 11:30 a.m.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 9:44 am
The regular meeting of Manning City Council will be held 6:30 p.m. today at City Hall. Use the North Mill Street entrance and take the stairs to council chambers. The agenda includes the swearing-in of Councilwoman Diane D. Georgia and Councilman Ervin L. Davis Sr., both of whom were re-elected in the municipal election held April 8. Georgia was opposed by Janice Coney, while Davis had no opposition. Council members will also discuss a contract for $932,479 with Hawkins & Kolb Construction for the city’s new Fire Station.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 21, 2014 6:21 am
The Harvin Clarendon County Mobile Library will make the following stop today:
1-3 p.m., Wee Academy.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 20, 2014 7:49 pm
COLUMBIA (AP) — South Carolina may spend $27 million next fiscal year on continued efforts to secure taxpayers’ personal data and provide another year of credit protection following the 2012 hacking at the state’s tax collection agency.
The state budget may also require all state agencies to adopt and implement cyber-security standards. Nineteen months after a cyber-thief stole unencrypted data of 6.4 million residents and businesses from the Department of Revenue, it’s unclear how agencies are safeguarding their own data.
Budget and Control Board director Marcia Adams says state law doesn’t give her agency’s information technology division the authority to … Read the rest
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 20, 2014 4:38 pm
SUMMERTON — Robert Lewis Fralix, husband of Maxine Walling Fralix, died Thursday, April 17, 2014.
Funeral services will be held 2 p.m. Monday at Thompson Funeral Home Chapel in Orangeburg with burial at Crestlawn Memorial Gardens in Orangeburg.
Survivors besides his wife of Summerton include two daughters, Susan Glasser and Sandra Fralix Shapiro, both of Orangeburg; and three sons, Richard Lewis Fralix and Robin Alan Fralix, both of Summerton, and Chris Michael (Stacy) Fralix of Orangeburg.
Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Thompson Funeral Home Inc. of Orangeburg.
Memorials may be made to Thompson Funeral … Read the rest
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 20, 2014 4:22 pm
The S.C. Highway Patrol is currently responding to a wreck with no injuries at the intersection of Hospital Street and U.S. 301 in Alcolu. The wreck happened about 4:09 p.m. Sunday. Traffic may be slower during this time.
Posted by Staff Reports | April 20, 2014 2:14 pm
From our families to yours, the staff of The Manning Times would like to wish you a happy Easter.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 20, 2014 12:14 pm
TURBEVILLE – Linda Porter, 58, died Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Clarendon Memorial Hospital in Manning.
Born Jan. 7, 1956, in Sumter County, she was a daughter of the late George “Buck” Harrison and Willie Mae Porter Johnson. She attended Florence County public schools. She was a member of St. John Methodist Church in Lake City.
Survivors include two daughters, Natasha Porter and Tiffany Singletary; a son, Len Lee Porter; seven sisters, Jeanette (Ben) Brand, Cynthia Johnson, Mattie Kennedy, Hazel (David) Singletary, Louisa (Benjamin) Flores, Marie Burgess and Betty Fleming; five brothers, James Porter, John Harvey Porter, Clarence Johnson, Sammie … Read the rest
Posted by Staff Reports | April 20, 2014 10:10 am
WWJ LLC, an affiliate of Boyd Management Inc. closed on the acquisition of Mannington Place Apartments in Manning on Jan. 30. The rehabilitation of this 40-unit property through U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Section 515 is expected for completion within six months.
WWJ and its consultant, Greystone Affordable Housing Initiatives, worked closely with the state office of USDA Rural Development and the State Housing Finance and Development Authority to coordinate and secure the financing needed to acquire and rehabilitate the property.
That financing includes:
· RHS 515 Debt:Assumption of $1.55 million of original USDA RHS … Read the rest
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 20, 2014 8:09 am
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. — Debra Lynn Tindal James, 50, wife of Anthony James Sr., died Wednesday, April 9, 2014, in Philadelphia.
Born Feb. 13, 1964, in Paxville, she was a daughter of the late Alphonson “Gent” Sr. and O’Bell Simon Tindal. She attended Clarendon County public schools and was a 1984 graduate of Manning High School. She was a member of Friendship AME Church in Silver. She was employed for more than 20 years with Glaxo Smith Kline in King Prussia, Pa.
Survivors besides her husband of the home include a son, Anthony James Jr.; three sisters, Gloria Tindal and Betty … Read the rest
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 10:23 pm
SUMTER – Ellen Marie Arl, age 71, died on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at her home.
Born Jan. 12, 1943, in Chicago, Ill., she was a devoted daughter of the late John and Helen Lavicka Arl. She was a lifelong learner, always taking classes and pursuing her education. She held multiple degrees, with masters degrees from both Tulane University and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Her post-graduate studies included coursework at Oxford University in England.
She was a professor in the Fine Arts Division at the University of South Carolina Sumter for more than 35 years. While at … Read the rest
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 6:33 pm
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — David Dow Sr., 79, husband of Bertha M. Dow, died Friday, April 11, 2014, at his home in Syracuse.
Born Nov. 28, 1935, in Summerton, he was a son of Earline Canty and the late Henry Canty Sr. David was a fun and loving person. He was full of life and enjoyed listening to the blues and hanging out with family and friends. He was employed at Crucible Steel for more than 30 years, and retired in 1998.
David was preceded in death by two sisters, Mary and Dorothy Mae; and two brothers, George and Robert.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 4:08 pm
Manning Times’ readers voted Flowers de Linda’s as the 2014 Clarendon’s Best Flower Shop. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more winners.
Posted by Staff Reports | April 19, 2014 2:53 pm
The possibility of more rain this afternoon is about 40 percent, according to the National Weather Service. Drizzly rain is likely tonight, mainly before midnight. Cloud cover will continue, with lows in the high 40s and winds out of the north at 15 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation increases to 60 percent this evening.
For Easter Sunday, there’s a chance of showers, mainly between 3 and 4 p.m., with a high of 65. Winds reaching 20 mph will flow from the north, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of rain drops to 30 percent Sunday night.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 2:26 pm
Manning Times’ readers voted Donna’s House Gift Shop as 2014 Clarendon’s Best Gift Shop. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more winners.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 12:47 pm
Manning Times’ readers voted David Timmons of Prothro Chevrolet as 2014 Clarendon’s Best Auto Salesperson. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more.
Posted by Robert Joseph Baker | April 19, 2014 11:23 am
Manning Times’ readers voted AgentOwned of Manning as 2014 Clarendon’s Best Real Estate Agency. Realtor Alfred Kelley accepted the award for the agency on April 10. See the April 17 edition of The Manning Times for more.