Breaking News Update

by | June 15, 2018 3:20 pm

In his suit against the Clarendon County Board of Voter Registration & Elections, Clarendon County Democratic Party, LaNette Samuels-Cooper, South Carolina Democratic Party and the South Carolina Election Commission, Clarendon Coroner Bucky Mock has obtained representation from Attorneys Vordman Carlisle Traywick III and Robert E. Tyson, Jr., of Sowell Gray Robinson Stepp & Laffitte, LLC, in Columbia.

According to item 39 in the court filing, “Defendant Samuels-Cooper is not qualified to become a coroner because she has not met the criteria of section 17-5-130 of the South Carolina Code.”

Item 43 states, “Therefore, pursuant to its authority set forth in section 15-53-20 of the South Carolina Code, Plaintiff Mock seeks a declaration from the Court that Defendant Samuels-Cooper does not meet the statutory requirements to become the Coroner of Clarendon County.”

Mock further seeks an injunction “preventing and enjoining (1) the State Election Commission and/or the Clarendon County Board of Voter Registration & Elections from certifying Samuels-Cooper as a candidate for coroner; (2) the State Election Commission and/or the Clarendon County Board of Voter Registration & Elections from placing Defendant Samuels-Cooper’s name on the ballot for the general election to be held November 6, 2018; and (3) the Clarendon County Democratic Party and South Carolina Democratic Party from certifying Defendant Samuels-Cooper as its nominee for coroner because she does not meet the statutory requirements.”

More on this story as it becomes available.

1. Comment by Hopefull citizen

June 15, 2018 at 16:02

Hope he wins this battle. The people of Clarendon county should have never been able to vote for someone not qualified to do the job. A 5 day class to become qualified just doesn’t seem to good to start with. But I bet there was some type of corruption in voter registration office to get her on the ballet.

2. Comment by Good for him

June 15, 2018 at 16:13

Good for him for standing for what’s right! It has nothing to do with a name or race and everything to do with who is qualified and will do the job corectly! #KeepBuckyMockCoroner

3. Comment by peggy

June 15, 2018 at 17:44

mr mock do what you got to do because I didn.t vote for her good luck

4. Comment by Danny Thomas

June 15, 2018 at 18:09

Well from what I have been reading is that Mr. Mock is not qualified either. Wasn’t that the big complain about him. Everyone was screaming that Mr. Mock did not meet the guidelines either. Wow

5. Comment by Don Juan Demarco

June 15, 2018 at 18:31

Of all the officials in C.C 85% unfit to do their duty’s. It’s not the illuminati but it’s the closest thing to it. He who controls the coroner’s office controls the minds of the masses. If she were a man would she still get this kind of flack? What the Lord giveths no man can taketh away.

6. Comment by Jane doe

June 16, 2018 at 01:51

Oh ok the shade and the saltiness has kick in. My my my my.

7. Comment by Linda

June 16, 2018 at 09:04

The coroner should not be an elected position All this does is contribute to incompetence in government.. The person should be hired to fill the job based on their qualifications.

8. Comment by robert falls

June 16, 2018 at 09:40

Who is the one to make sure a candidate is qualified to be on a ballot ? That person should be held responsible just as the one applying for the position, if they are indeed not qualified.

9. Comment by Good Start

June 16, 2018 at 09:48

It’s about time to drain The Pocotaligo Swamp way pass due !!!!

10. Comment by Thom

June 16, 2018 at 21:25

Since this is a local news story the only info I’ve read has come from this site. From that I have to look at the qualifications of the individuals as printed. When you do that, you have to realize that Ms Samuels-Cooper is in no way qualified to hold the position. So, she was elected not on her qualifications, but on something else. I’ll not say anything further on that. But, why in the world would this be an elected position? It should be a qualifications based hired position. Take the politics out of it.

11. Comment by Ted E Caddell Sr

June 16, 2018 at 21:36

Not being qualified never stopped the liberals from electing anyone.Obama was elected twice.

12. Comment by Seriously??

June 17, 2018 at 11:48

If neither are qualified, how were they both on the ballot? This should not be an elected position anyway. And FYI Obama was twice the President and FIVE times the man Trump will EVER be!!

13. Comment by Argue this

June 17, 2018 at 14:55

Bucky Mock:
    -21 years as a Clarendon County Deputy Coroner
    -20+ years as a Clarendon County Firefighter & First Responder
    -35+ as a Registered Nurse specializing in Emergency Medicine and Forensics
    -Years and years of experience in death investigations

LaNette Samuels-Cooper:
    -“I don’t know everything but I’m willing to learn this job as a progress”
    -“I’m not a nurse and I don’t have a medical background”

Someone please tell me how LaNette is more qualified?

14. Comment by Thom

June 19, 2018 at 15:58

To Danny Thomas – would you explain why you think Bucky Mock is NOT qualified to hold the position? I’d love to hear it. Look at his qualifications (argue-this posted a bunch of them) and tell me what disqualifies him? Then take a look at the lady who won the election and you tell me who is more qualified. She won the election, not on her qualificatins, but on bias, clear and simple. This should not be an elected postion, but if it is, there must be a screening to only allow QUALIFIED individuals to run.