Longtime Pig employee retires after 45 years

by | August 31, 2017 10:30 am

When George King hangs up his apron later today at the Manning Piggly Wiggly, it will be for the final time.
After 45 years with the store, King is retiring.
“I wanted to go out before I’m 70 years old, and I’ve only got a month left,” said King, who serves as the store’s meat market manager. “So, Thursday is my last day.”
King began his work in the grocery industry at a Sav-Way in Maryland. He had just completed a turn in the military, and he and his wife settled up north for a while. The pair eventually had a son while living there.
“We decided we didn’t want to raise our children in the city, so we came back home to Manning,” said King.
King ran the market for a grocery store in Sumter before finally joining the Manning Piggly Wiggly in 1972. He was 24 at the time.
“I love talking to the people and getting to know them,” King said. “They remember you and details about your life. They ask how your wife and kids and grandkids are doing.”
King said aside from chit-chat, his customers have mostly approached him throughout the years for recommendations.
“They want to know about the cut of meat and the tenderness mostly,” he said. “I’ve gotten to where I can just about look and tell that, so they depend on that.”
King said it’s always been nice to be able to help customers when they need him or any of his staff.
“It makes me feel good when they come to me and ask what I would prefer,” he said. “I love it here, and that’s why I’ve stayed so long. But now, it’s time for me to retire.”
King won’t be sitting at home, he said. He will still work for the company as a temporary fill-in at other stores.
“I will relieve market managers, helping out when they have days off or vacation,” he said. “Wherever there’s a problem, that’s where I’ll go.”
King said he’s seen dramatic changes in the industry during his time with the store.
“Years ago, all our meat, like beef, came in completely unprocessed, and we had to break it down into quarters ourselves, then hang it in the cooler after we unloaded the trucks,” he said. “Now, it comes already broken down for us. All we have to do is pick up the piece of meat we want from the cooler and slice it and put it in the case. That’s a big change.”
King is married to Mary King, and the couple has three children and seven grandchildren.
“Two boys and a girl for kids, and six grandsons and one granddaughter,” King said.

1. Comment by Pastor Myra Pearson

August 31, 2017 at 10:40

Congrats and enjoy your retirement.

2. Comment by Dorothy S. Gaymon

August 31, 2017 at 11:04

Congratulations George! We will truly miss you at the store. Enjoy your retirement and take time out for yourself. Be bless.

3. Comment by Moye Graham

August 31, 2017 at 11:04

Congratulations Sir. Job well done.

4. Comment by Laura Alsbrook

August 31, 2017 at 12:07

Congratulations George!!! Best wishes on your retirement.

5. Comment by Will Buyck

August 31, 2017 at 13:18

Congratulations, Mr. King! Best wishes in your well deserved retirement.

6. Comment by Bernard Bradshaw

August 31, 2017 at 13:20

Congratulations enjoy you retirement

7. Comment by Patricia Pringle

August 31, 2017 at 13:38

Congratulations Mr. King and enjoy your retirement.

8. Comment by Mary Adger

August 31, 2017 at 15:26

Thank you for your service!

9. Comment by Felicia Hammond

August 31, 2017 at 16:57

Sending my congratulations all the way from Maryland. Visiting the Piggly Wiggly store will not be the same without seeing George King smiling face.

10. Comment by Robbie Briggs

August 31, 2017 at 19:07

One of the most respected employees by sister company Piggly Wiggy Carolina. Everyone knew Mr. King. First Class-Old School is the best way to describe George. Enjoy your retirement-well deserved!

11. Comment by Travis Brown Jr

August 31, 2017 at 20:04

Congratulations George. You will be missed on the job. I always enjoyed saying hello and talking sports. If you decide to take up golf, give me a heads up and join me at Shannon Greens.

12. Comment by Paul and Annie Cantey

August 31, 2017 at 20:42

Congratulations

13. Comment by Kenny Bilton

August 31, 2017 at 20:58

George will be missed for sure. The Manning Piggly Wiggly will never be the same without my very good and long time friend George King !!! Best of luck in your retirement. I know you will stay busy because you have never been the type to do just nothing !!!!

14. Comment by Angie Jordan

August 31, 2017 at 21:50

George- it’s hard to believe it’s been that long since you started working at The Pig- I was there 10-12 grades- during that time-those were the good ole days- We worked hard and did things the right way… Even back then, from the start of your career , people respected your opinion- You have always been helpful and honest- and I know I am only one of many who are going to miss you- wishing you a healthy , happy retirement, which you so deserve-
    Hopefully , will still see you as you fill in for others- Take care, and may God Bless – Enjoy your family and time to relax and enjoy life- worked hard and deserve to reap the benefits!!!🎉🎉🎉

15. Comment by Lee Stogner

August 31, 2017 at 21:55

I will miss George at the Pig. He is a good friend and a great representative of “Beauty and Hospitality”. A true Manning citizen.

16. Comment by Andrew Hammond

August 31, 2017 at 22:23

Incredible end of an era and a start of new beginnings.

Thanks George King for showing us how to finish strong!

17. Comment by Joann Jones

August 31, 2017 at 23:02

Congratulations George enjoy your retirement May God bless you.

18. Comment by Iane

August 31, 2017 at 23:50

Congratulations Mr. King!!!!

19. Comment by Cassie A Nelson

September 2, 2017 at 02:46

Congratulations George King. Enjoy your retirement.