One suspect in deputy shooting dead, other granted $2M bond

by | May 18, 2017 12:17 pm

One of the suspects in the killing of a Broadwater County Sheriff’s deputy died Wednesday, while the other made a court appearance and was ordered held on $2 million bail on numerous attempted homicide charges.
The Missoula County Sheriff’s Office announced that 39-year-old Marshall Barrus died at a Missoula hospital after suffering a gunshot wound to his head during a shootout with police Tuesday.
Meanwhile, his 61-year-old father Lloyd Barrus appeared in Missoula County Justice Court that same afternoon on 14 counts of attempted deliberate homicide and two counts of accountability for attempted deliberate homicide, all felonies.
The Barruses are suspected in the killing of Broadwater County Sheriff’s Deputy Mason Moore, who was shot early Tuesday morning near Three Forks during a pursuit on U.S. Highway 287.
Lloyd Barrus is accused of trying to kill law enforcement officers from Butte-Silver Bow and Anaconda police departments, the Montana Highway Patrol, and the Missoula, Granite and Powell county sheriff’s offices during a pursuit after Moore’s death.
Homicide charges for the death of Moore have not been filed. The Montana Department of Justice’s Division of Criminal Investigation is continuing to investigate.
Charging documents say that Moore was killed by a shot fired from an SUV that the deputy was pursuing — which Lloyd Barrus was driving and Marshall Barrus was riding in. No details as to why Moore was in pursuit have been released.
When dispatch lost contact with Moore during the pursuit, additional law enforcement responded and found Moore dead. The Barruses were identified as suspects from dashcam footage recovered from Moore’s patrol vehicle and law enforcement statewide were alerted.
According to law enforcement officials, the two men led multiple agencies on a chase after the Barruses were located driving west on Interstate 90.
Charging documents say that while at mile marker 135 in Granite County, law enforcement saw Marshall Barrus move to the back of the SUV and begin firing a long gun through the vehicle’s rear window. Two vehicles from Butte-Silver Bow Police Department were hit and disabled.
When the vehicle, which had driven over spike strips in Powell County, eventually came to a stop in Missoula County near Rock Creek, Lloyd Barrus got out of the driver’s side while Marshall Barrus got out of the passenger’s side, court documents say.
The two fired at officers, hitting four more patrol vehicles. Lloyd Barrus was using a 9-millimeter Glock handgun while his son was using a rifle or shotgun, court documents say.
Officers returned fire, “mortally” wounding Marshall Barrus and shooting the handgun from Lloyd Barrus’ hand.
Marshall Barrus was taken to St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula where he died Wednesday.
After his arrest, Lloyd Barrus told investigators that he was hoping to force a suicide by cop and that he hoped he would go out “at the end of a gun.”
During a search of the vehicle, officers found a substantial number of empty 9mm shell casings and empty, discarded ammunition magazines on the driver’s side of the SUV. Officers also found shell casings and empty magazines from Marshall Barrus’ rifle on the passenger’s side.
On Wednesday, four DCI agents were on scene in both Broadwater and Missoula counties, conducting interviews, searching vehicles and processing evidence. They were helped by personnel from Gallatin, Broadwater and Missoula counties.

comments » 1

  1. Comment by Tim Hinson

    May 18, 2017 at 13:14

    One officer killed, others fired upon and the court granted bond ? Why would you let this dangerous felon out of prison ! That is not right !

By submitting a comment you grant Manning Live a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.

© Copyright 2017 | Manning Live