; Gunter Sweat

Gunter Sweat

by | April 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Retired basketball coach Gunter Sweat, 73, husband of the Rev. Ethel Whack Sweat, died Monday, April 20, 2015, at Tuomey Regional Medical Center in Sumter.
Born May 25, 1941, in the Live Oak section of Manning, he was a son of the late Tommie “Big Tee” Sweat and Almetta Brown Sweat. He coached basketball at Manning Training School, Manning High School and Scott’s Branch High School.
The family will receive friends at the home, 2392 Mallette Road in Manning.
Services will be announced by Samuels Funeral Home LLC of Manning.

gunter sweat

1. Comment by catina

April 20, 2015 at 17:08

A good man RIP helped my children get their license

2. Comment by Lisa

April 20, 2015 at 17:19

he will be greatly missed . He was a great man and ive known him all my life

3. Comment by Kimberlee (WAy) Warner

April 20, 2015 at 17:28

So deeply sorry for the family’s loss.Prayers for everyone who feels the loss of such a special man.

4. Comment by Juanita Mcconico James

April 20, 2015 at 17:36

What!!! Am so sorry to hear about this my prayers goes out to the family…

5. Comment by Dorothy Samuels Gaymon

April 20, 2015 at 19:25

Oh my goodness! This hurts to the core! My prayers are with the family at this time. I always called him by his full name…same to me. Great man! RIP GUNTER SWEAT!!!

6. Comment by JerriScriven

April 20, 2015 at 19:45

He was such an inspiration to my son. Always had something postive to say. Rest in peace. Gone but not forgotten

7. Comment by Andre Reyes

April 20, 2015 at 19:54

Coach/Mr. Gunter Sweat was a good man. Taught me a lot about the game of basketball and even more about life. He taught me how to drive a car. Coached me for the 2 years I went to Manning High School (1984-86). I transferred to Manning High from Scott’s Branch before my junior year. We won a few games, a summer camp championship, and a conference championship.
    The advice he had given to me in those 2 years have lasted for 30 years!!!
    R.I.P. Coach/Mr. Gunter Sweat. Monarchs Forever!!!

8. Comment by Dexter Bassard

April 20, 2015 at 20:09

Great MAN R.I.P Coach prayers sent for the family

Dex

9. Comment by Nora(Pringle)Chandler

April 20, 2015 at 20:30

OMG My prayer goes out to the family.Dea help my daughter get her license.Dea took my daughter,niece ,and nephew to Sunday School, RIP

10. Comment by Curt and Carol Sherod

April 20, 2015 at 20:56

My prayers to the family may he rest in peace.

11. Comment by LIn Ham

April 20, 2015 at 21:03

So sorry to hear of this Mrs Ethel, Tracy and Cedric. Our hearts and prayers are with you through this tough time. Mr Gunter was not only a great teacher and coach, I considered him a friend. Just recently he taught my oldest daughter to drive, and I’m grateful that he took the time and had the patients for this. We spoke at length a short while back, and his face lit up when talking of his children and grandchildren. He was one proud father/grandfather. Going to miss his smiling face.

Lin Ham

12. Comment by Freddie Gamble

April 20, 2015 at 21:20

Deeply saddened by this news. Praying for strength within the family.

13. Comment by Linda Triplett

April 20, 2015 at 21:50

Praying for the Sweat family during their time of sorrow. Mr Sweat RIP.

14. Comment by Dawnjalice Brown

April 20, 2015 at 21:52

I can’t believe the news. Coach Sweat was one of my favorite teachers. His family are in my thoughts and prayers. Tomorrow is not promised make sure you appreciate those you love today!

15. Comment by Eleazer Carter

April 20, 2015 at 23:46

I will miss our front of the Post Office conversations…. RIP my friend.

16. Comment by Ryan Harrison

April 21, 2015 at 01:13

You will always be remembered coach Sweat

17. Comment by Barbara Green

April 21, 2015 at 02:48

Was a great man, remember him being at SBS. RIP

18. Comment by Hulaine Windham

April 21, 2015 at 06:11

Mrs. Sweat and family, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will miss his smiling facein the shop getting those copies for his driving students. May you find peace and comfort in knowing he is the company of our Heavenly Father. RIP Mr. Sweat.

19. Comment by Lisa Smith

April 21, 2015 at 11:51

Such a kind and generous man. Heaven has one more angel looking over us. The Sweat family is in my thoughts and prayers.

20. Comment by Dr. Shirley Taylor Ballard

April 21, 2015 at 11:53

You have my deepest Sympathy.RIP Coach Sweat.

21. Comment by Terry Norene Bailey

April 21, 2015 at 12:09

So sorry to hear this sad news. My prayers are with Mrs. Sweat and the family. May he rest in peace.

22. Comment by Marletta Elliott

April 21, 2015 at 19:10

To the Sweat Family, Keep the Faith and remember to Cherish the Memories, Mr. Sweat is definitely miss in Manning, S.C. our Prayers & Thoughts are with the Family.

23. Comment by Larry D Johnson

April 21, 2015 at 21:04

Coach Sweat and Rev. Ethel Sweat were like extended parents to me. I was deeply saddened by the news of his passing…. My prayers are with the Family… Coach Sweat… You will TRUELY be missed

24. Comment by Jessie small

April 21, 2015 at 22:26

Wow! RIP Coach Sweat!!

25. Comment by Margaret Player

April 21, 2015 at 23:05

Mrs. Ethel, my heart is sad for you and your family. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless you all!

26. Comment by Annie (Pringle )Cantey

April 22, 2015 at 13:25

will miss Mr.Sweat. .we went to the same church. .praying for the family. .

27. Comment by L. Marie Dozier

April 23, 2015 at 05:23

So sorry about your loss…may God continue to comfort you as you transition. All days won’t be strong days…but as time passes wounds heal…look to God for your strength…pray for peace in your times of despair…pray for patience in your understanding that God is God all by himself…RIP Mr. Sweat…continued prays and condolences to Mrs. Sweat and the Sweat family.

28. Comment by Melissa Murray Waites

April 23, 2015 at 15:38

Sending my deepest and heart felt condolences to you all. Always cherish the memories and know he was loved by so many. He was a very kind and sweet man! He will truly be missed! Praying for you all! Melissa

29. Comment by Kelvin Nelson

April 26, 2015 at 17:59

My heart and prayers goes out to the Sweat family. He was an inspiration in my life. I can still hear his voice of encouragement and his confidence in me to exceed. Thank you Coach Gunter Sweat and Rest In Peace. I love you Sir.

Kelvin Nelson #24