Interstate 95 now clear

by | September 29, 2014 3:39 pm

The S.C. Highway Patrol has cleared Interstate 95 in the northbound lanes near the 126 mile-marker after an early morning wreck between two tractor trailers and six passenger vehicles sent drivers and passengers to the hospital and also shut down through-traffic for nearly eight hours.

Lance Cpl. David Jones said the driver of one tractor trailer was charged with driving too fast for conditions for contributing to the wreck.

“The tractor trailer ran off the road, overcorrected and overturned in the roadway,” Jones said. “Other vehicles weren’t able to avoid the collision with the truck.”

One of the injured was airlifted to a Columbia hospital.

One of the tractor trailers was carrying dry cement powder, and clean-up took a substantial amount of first responders’ time, Jones said.

Photos are courtesy of Greg Buffaloe.

1. Comment by Sheri Johnson

September 29, 2014 at 17:59

I was with Greg Buffaloe (picture taker) and I found the man in the overturned tractor trailer and stayed with him until EMS got there. I am desperate to know how he is, is there any update. I cant get his face out of my mind. Do you know of he made it…

2. Comment by Cindy Beard

September 30, 2014 at 10:40

Thank you for staying with the driver. He will be released from the hopsital today.

3. Comment by tiffany

September 30, 2014 at 14:17

Sheri, we really appreciate you stopping to check on everyone there. Even the small time you sat with me on the blanket helped to calm my nerves. Thanks again!

4. Comment by Sheri Johnson

September 30, 2014 at 14:51

ya’ll have made my day hearing that he will be released from the hospital today and that he is ok makes me so happy. His face in that truck has been engraved in my mind since yesterday morning. If anyone knows who he is please pass him along my email address.. I just want to see a picture of him in a different way, not in the way that is engraved in me. My heart goes out to him and his family and I will pray for a full recovery for him.

@ Tiffany– Im so glad I could be of any help at all. Im so glad you and your boyfriend didnt get hurt and that there were no fatalities. Did you make it to Boston in time?? Email me… My email address is sherijohnson1976@gmail.com and to anyone who may know who that driver is PLease .. I just want a normal picture so I can replace the one in my mind…. Thanks all and God Bless

5. Comment by Austin

October 1, 2014 at 18:03

I was one of the vehicles involved. Glad everyone made it out and is recovering. What a scary situation!

6. Comment by Gloria

October 2, 2014 at 22:10

Glad everyone else is ok. My husband was the other truck driver. He is the one flighted to the trauma unit. His whole entire face was shattered. His nose ripped completely off. He had major reconstructive surgery and hoping he will get his site back. Please pray.

7. Comment by Gloria

October 2, 2014 at 22:17

He was the one following the driver that was driving to fast for conditions and rolled his truck. Thank you to who ever was there helping my husband fight for his life.

;